Sunday, April 3, 2011

Pirates Review

Pirates by Celia Rees
My Rating: 3.5 stars
Grade 7 and up

Nancy Kington, a wealthy merchant’s daughter living in Bristol, England in the early 1700’s, is sometimes lonely but enjoys the privileges her father’s business brings. Minerva Sharpe is a penniless slave’s daughter living and working on the Kington’s Jamaican plantation. These two young women, united through a set of extraordinary circumstances including a brutal murder, an arranged marriage, and set of ruby earrings, find themselves sailing the high seas in search of love, adventure and freedom—as pirates!

I can't remember where I first heard about this book, but when I saw it in the library I couldn't pass it up. Lately I've been really into "Piratey" things and so this book fit perfectly. I hadn't read any reviews and knew little about the book so I wondered where this new story would take me. It took me on a great adventure. It's a true story told through Nancy's eyes and it had some romance (clean) and a lot of swashbuckling action. There were a couple of violent scenes that might upset the squeamish, although I consider myself a sensitive reader and they didn't bother me. The only thing that really bothered me was that I felt the author resolved the action too quickly. I was wrapt up in the story and caught up in the middle of the action when all of a sudden--resolution. It kind of left me hanging.  That being said, I really enjoyed this book. The author is British so some of the words are spelled differently like realised and practised. I kept thinking they were typos and had to remind myself...no, it's British not American. 

No comments:

Post a Comment